Dale has considerable expertise leading engineering development and new product introduction for a variety of high-tech industrial/prosumer products, generally involving low-power and battery operation, wireless-communications and the Internet of Things (IoT).
- Product Lifecycle Management
- Embedded System Development
- Cloud Computing
- Internet of Things (IoT)
Development of a high-tech product can be a complex undertaking, involving a complex relationship of simultaneous tasks. Dale has amassed considerable experience in this area, finding the right balance between attention to detail and time to market, without increasing risk or sacrificing quality.
Product Lifecycle Management
Product Lifecycle Management (or PLM) involves consciously managing a product from concept through design, manufacturing and sales, including product management, product enhancement and maintenance, and eventual termination. PLM integrates people, data, processes and business systems, and provides trustable and transparent design and manufacturing data.
Embedded System Development
An Embedded System is a computing device that the user doesn’t really know or care is a computing device, such as a smart phone or tablet device, an HVAC monitoring and control system or a GPS-based vehicle navigation system. Developing an embedded system often involves a highly technical cross-functional team, involving product conceptualization and user experience (UX), low-power analog, digital and RF electronics design and regulatory compliance testing, and complex embedded firmware with a unix-like operating system and variety of network protocols.
Cloud Computing just means “not on my computer”. If it happens in the cloud, it’s happening on a computer somewhere, just not on yours. A web site is “in the cloud”, but is still just software running on a computing system somewhere. The technologies involved vary wildly depending on the application and the implementation strategy, but often involves a mix of unix system administration, web application development and database design and administration.
Internet of Things
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a nice marketing story with devices everywhere communicating with cloud-based services that together make the world a better place. However the success of products will depend on solving real problems for real people. Sensors will need to function in real-world conditions involving extremes in temperature, moisture and mechanical stress. The real world also has varying degrees of fault-tolerance and criticality (how likely a failure is, and what is the effort of the failure).
Development projects Dale has been involved with include the following:
- Development of the world’s first 20 cm survey-quality GPS receiver.
- GPS-based land survey instrument development, including post-processing software.
- GPS-based navigation product development for marine and GIS applications.
- Business development and technical customer support for licensed vocal harmony technology.
- Sustaining engineering, manufacturing and technical support for Smart Pigs, used to internally inspect Oil & Gas pipelines for integrity and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Coordinated engineering development and managed the New Product Introduction (NPI) process for a new agricultural IoT product and service.